CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Big Day of Surgery

Davis had tubes put in on Tuesday last week. His surgery was scheduled for 9:00 AM but we had to have him at the hospital at 7:00AM... why? I am still trying to understand. Davis loves his breakfast and his milk in the morning and as always, prior to surgery you cannot eat or drink after midnight the night before. I woke him up at 11:00 Pm the night before for a little Buffet party. Grandmommie came in town and was able to join us for the party. We ate a little lasagna, some chicken fingers and some Easter cookies. We had a big time! He was a little confused but thoroughly enjoyed it! After about 2 hours of gluttony and playtime he went back to sleep. He woke up on his own at 6:30 and was happy (and still full thankfully) and so our little adventure began. As you can see in the picture below, Davis did not have a care in the world. Just as happy as he could be.

In the hospital pre-op area there was a wagon to help preoccupy the children. Davis loved riding around the hallway in the wagon. We played games, watched TV and did everything in our will to keep him preoccupied prior to surgery.

When the nurse came to get him for surgery, it was probably the hardest thing I could ever imagine. They took him totally awake and unmedicated. She told me when they went back they would give him a mask to put him to sleep (Thank goodness, no IV). It broke my heart but I think that the fact we had been there for so long enabled me to get through it because I was just ready for it all to be over with. When he came to (seriously only about 15 minutes later) he was as mad as a wet hen. I promise, he woke up people in surgery that were under anesthesia because he was so mad. John and I went back to get him and he was bright red, splotchy, screaming and glassy eyed. I hope to God I never have to see him that helpless again. Once I got him to the car, he was happy as could be. I picked up some food on the way home and he slept for about 2 hours once I put him down. After his nap he was back to himself again! Ever since the surgery, he has been normal, happy JD! He is talking/ babbling more and seems to have a better balance when he walks. So far so good! No issues and hopefully no more ear infections!



1 comments:

Lauren J. said...

I'm so glad the surgery is over! I cried reading how you had to hand him over, awake and then go back to him so mad...breaks my heart! I am just praying he stays happy and healthy with no more infections!! He is such a doll! Give him a hug from me!